The Dennis Bishop Laboratory is a purpose-built facility, opened in November 1999. It is housed in the Casa de las Universidades Europeas, in the centre of the Park. The Casa also boasts a large lecture room and supporting audio-visual aids.
This laboratory is fully equipped to assist trainees in their research and development of new and existing skills:
- Optical material: good quality microscopes, binoculars, telescope.
- Entomological equipment: three types of light trap, a Malaise trap, pitfall and water traps, as well as the various materials required to establish a scientific collection.
- Water quality equipment: portable electronic meters for the measurement of conductivity, pH, oxygen and temperature.
- Reference collection of invertebrates: extensive collections of Lepidoptera, Diptera and other insect groups, in addition to Mollusca and aquatic invertebrates. Also starting a new collection based on moth larvae leave mines.
- Herbarium: higher plants, bryophytes, lichens and some fungi.
- Reference Library: naturalistic guides, dycotomic keys, etc.
- Computing facilities and internet access
- GPS and opensource-GIS software
This post is also available in: Castellà